Mobility after the pandemic: changes and long-term effects of COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted human mobility on an unprecedented scale--not only lockdown and travel restrictions during the pandemic period but also potential long-term effects on migration decisions. Such changes and long-term effects offer a unique opportunity for conducting sociological research in both substantive topics and methodological approaches. The ICSA program committee welcomes submissions on this theme and related topics, both theoretical work and empirical analysis that can contribute to the understanding of COVID-19-induced mobility-behavioural transformations, such as travel patterns, domestic and international migrations, and so forth. Both qualitative and quantitative papers are welcome.
The ICSA program committee welcomes submissions on topics related to this main theme, as well as on other topics, both theoretical work and empirical analysis. Papers offering comparative perspectives and cross-disciplinary approaches are particularly welcome. Both complete papers and extended paper abstracts in English will be considered. Extended abstracts must contain sufficient details to suggest timely completion (normally, 5 pages or more).
Graduate students are invited to compete for the ICSA 2024 Nan Lin Graduate Student Paper Award. One paper (published or unpublished) will be selected and the award will be announced in the conference and presented with a plaque and a check of USD 500 (by mail). The selected paper must be presented in person at the conference in person. Five travel awards valued $500 will be offered to students based on their submission for the paper award.
To be considered for the Nan Lin Paper Award, papers must be (1) authored by student(s) only, (2) in English, and (3) to be presented at the 2024 ICSA Conference. Student status must be valid as of the end of 2024. Only complete papers will be considered. Please mark *Nan Lin Paper Award* in the Subject Area when submitting online.
The International Chinese Sociological Association (ICSA) invites nominations for the Yu Xie Early Career Award. The ICSA Yu Xie Early Career Award recognizes and honors individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to Sociology within 10 years of completing their doctoral degree. The award includes a certificate and USD1,000. The winner will be honored during the Annual Meeting. The deadline for the nomination is April 1, 2024. See details in the award page.
Instructions for Paper Submissions
The ICSA Paper Submission Information Site will be available on January 12, 2024, at https://icsa-sociology.org. The submission deadline is Feb. 16 (Friday), 2024. In the event of any technical difficulties, submissions may be emailed to email@example.com.
Please note that conference participation requires membership in the ICSA. If you are not an active member yet, please become a member through ICSA’s new homepage: https://icsa-sociology.org. The membership fees: $10 for a student membership, $30 for a regular membership, and $600 for a lifetime membership.
The ICSA is a nonprofit organization, registered in both California, USA and Hong Kong SAR, China. It aims to promote social scientific research on Chinese societies, cultures, and populations in the world.
Cai Tianji (Chair, University of Macao)
Ming Wen, (Hong Kong University)
Tong Yuying, (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
Zhang Zhuoni (Hong Kong University Science and Technology, Guang Zhou)
Zhou Yisu (FED, University of Macao)
Li Yi (FSS, U University of Macao)
Jan 12, 2024: On-line submission site opens
Feb 16, 2024: Deadline for submitting Abstracts
March 3, 2024: Formal acceptance letters by email
May 17, 2024: Provisional program available on the website
June 1, 2024: Full papers due to organizers/presiders/discussants
June 13-14, 2024: Conference
International Chinese Sociological Association (ICSA) 2024 Yu Xie Early Career Award
Call for Nomination
The International Chinese Sociological Association (ICSA) invites nominations for the Yu Xie Early Career Award.The ICSA Yu Xie Early Career Award recognizes and honors individuals who have made an outstanding contribution in Sociology within 10 years of completing their doctoral degree. The award includes a certificate and USD $1,000. The winner will be honored during the Annual Meeting. The 2024 ICSA annual meeting will be held at the University of Macao on June 13-14, 2024.
Nominations Opened: February 1st, 2024
Nominations deadline for complete nomination package (nomination letter and CV): April 1, 2024.
Reference Letter max word: 600
1) Emerging body of significant and high-impact research in the form of publications that are likely to make a significant impact on theory, research, and practice.
2) Evidence of growing intellectual leadership in the discipline as reflected in editorial appointments, particularly of leading Sociology journals.
3) Other evidence of intellectual contributions that provide a platform for future success.
Nominators are encouraged to provide the award selection committee with specific indicators of the nominee's contributions in these and other categories.
1. Members of this ICSA Awards Committee and the ICSA Board of Directors are not eligible to be a nominee for this award.
2. Former recipients of this Award are not eligible.
3. Nominees must be within 10 years of their terminal degree as of 31 December in the award year.
4. Nominees are required to be a member of ICSA
5. Nominees must be living at the time of their nomination.
6. Nominees not selected for the award in the year of the initial nomination are kept on file for automatic consideration again the next year, without requiring renomination. At the time of the Call for Nominations each year, nominators of previous unsuccessful nominations have the option of updating and resubmitting their earlier nominations.
1. Nominators are not required to be members of ICSA.
2. Members of this ICSA Award Selection Committee may add additional candidates at their discretion.
An Award Selection Committee has been formed to select candidates for the award for 2024. The committee members are Professors W. Jean Yeung (Chair), Ming Wen, and Emily Hannum. Nominators can submit a nomination to the President of ICSA and Chair of the Award Selection Committee, W.J. Yeung by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org (please state the subject as "Nomination for ICSA Yu Xie Early Career Award - 2024"). The nomination packet should include two items:
1) Nominee's curriculum vitae/bio.
2) The nomination letter should include a brief (not to exceed 600 words) description of the candidate's achievements and eligibility. The letter should identify the major contributions on which the nomination is based and explain why the nominee is especially qualified to receive this award.
The deadline for all nominations for this award is April 1th 2024.
Winners of the award will be informed around April 15, 2024.
International Chinese Sociological Association (ICSA) 2024 Nan Lin Graduate Student Paper Award